I have a Multiple Subject Credential, now want a Single Subject Credential.

If you have a valid Multiple Subject Credential earned through a California based credential program and now want a Single Subject Credential you must do the following:

  1. Meet subject matter competency either by waiver or exam(s) in the subject you are seeking a Single Subject Credential; contact the Credentials Office at credentials.office@sonoma.edu if you are unsure of what exams to take.
  2. Take a secondary teaching methodology (that is not reading) course at a university with an approved credential program; at Sonoma State we recommend EDSS 444 in the desired subject area; contact the department chair to obtain permission to take the methods course and instruction on registration.
  3. Once you have these requirement met, you can apply directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for your second credential; visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ for more information OR contact the Credential Analyst if you wish for SSU to recommend you or if you need additional information, at veronica.duarte@sonoma.edu. Please note that a processing fee is required if you wish for SSU to submit the request to CTC. For more information please email the Credentials Office at credentials.office@sonoma.edu.
  4. If you hold a California credential based on an out of state program, these requirements may differ. Visit the CTC at www.ctc.ca.gov or email the Credentials Office at credentials.office@sonoma.edu for information.