Bilingual Authorization (Spanish)

Apply to Bilingual Authorization     Handbook      

North Bay Teacher Residency Program 

Program Description 

This authorization can be added onto any teaching credential (multiple subjects, single subject, or educational specialist) and may be completed simultaneously or after obtaining a teaching credential. Candidates may embed some of the required courses in their undergraduate experience, or they may pursue added bilingual authorization exclusively post-bachelor’s degree.

Coursework addresses the persistent and contemporary issues in dual-language/bilingual education in three broad areas:

  1. Spanish language
  2.  Chicanx/Latinx Studies
  3.  Bilingual and dual-language methods and pedagogies

Upon completion of the coursework leading to an added bilingual authorization, candidates will:

  • Develop skills necessary to teach bilingual/dual-language students in California’s Tk-12 grade schools
  • Understand the complexities of bilingual/dual-language education, including policies, research, and best practices
  • Demonstrate advanced levels of academic language in both Spanish and English
  • Become a better prepared teacher to teach in a wide variety of public school settings: mainstream English-only, bilingual, and dual-language
  • Learn effective ways to demonstrate advocacy for students, their families, and their communities

Program Structure 

Through coursework and field experiences, the program features hands-on experiences that are applicable to all classroom contexts, Tk-12, but best suited for biliteracy classrooms. Program faculty are dedicated to excellence in the preparation of future bilingual teachers through on-going professional development in current, research-based curriculum and assessment. When pursuing the bilingual authorization as an undergraduate, the majority of the courses are taken in conjunction with a major/minor in Chicano and Latino Studies (CALS) and/or Spanish (SPAN), with one additional required course taken with other the credential program coursework. When pursuing the bilingual authorization as a post-baccalaureate student, there are additional courses. 

Program Requirements 

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) has approved the following courses as assessing candidates’ Spanish language competence:

  • SPAN 300/300H: Advanced Spanish Language (For Native/Heritage Speakers)
  • SPAN 301: Advanced Composition & Conversation
  • SPAN 304: Introduction to Spanish Linguistics

Candidates must successfully pass all three courses above prior to enrolling in EDMS 465 or SPAN 427, and prior to student teaching. In the event that a candidate has not taken these courses, equivalent coursework at another institution (in the U.S. or in another Spanish speaking country) may be substituted upon approval by the program coordinator. In the event that there is no coursework at Sonoma State or elsewhere providing evidence that the candidate has been thoroughly assessed in her/his/their Spanish language competence, the candidate will be required to pass the CSET Spanish III exam. 

Fieldwork & Supervision 

Candidates pursuing added bilingual authorization will be placed by their respective teaching credential program (multiple-subject, single-subject, educational specialist) in a fieldwork site appropriate for their credential and supervised by an individual with expertise in that area (e.g. elementary dual-immersion expertise; subject matter + bilingual authorization expertise; mid/moderate special education + bilingual expertise). Candidates will complete 600+ hours of field work/student teaching over the course of two semesters. Please refer to the handbook particular to each respective teaching credential program for more information.

Program Advising 

Added Bilingual Authorization Information and Advising Session, Summer 2023 (Passcode: C8VCd^Xa)

Undergraduate candidates are encouraged to notify their academic advisor and Dr. Rhianna Henry Casesa as soon as they have determined that they would like to pursue coursework leading to an added bilingual authorization for support and advising throughout their undergraduate experience.

Post-baccalaureate candidates are advised to contact Dr. Casesa prior to or immediately upon applying to a credential program for advising specific to adding bilingual authorization.