I have a Single Subject Credential, now want a Multiple Subject Credential.

If you have a valid single subject credential earned through a California based credential program and now want a multiple subject credential you must do the following:

  1. Meet subject matter competency by passing the CSET: Multiple Subject Exam (all three subtests) or having a BA degree in Liberal Studies or Liberal Arts.
  2. Take an elementary teaching methodology (that is not reading) course at a University with an approved Credential Program; contact the department chair at casesa@sonoma.edu to obtain permission to take the methods course and instruction on registration.
  3. Take an elementary teaching reading course and take and pass RICA; at Sonoma State you must contact the department chair at casesa@sonoma.edu to obtain advising and permission to take the course and instructions on registration.
  4. Once you have these requirement met, you can apply directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for your second credential; visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ for more information OR contact the Credential Analyst if you wish for SSU to recommend you or if you need additional information, at torrescr@sonoma.edu. Please note that courses must be taken at SSU and a processing fee is required if you wish for SSU to submit the request to CTC. For more information please email the Credentials Office at credentials.office@sonoma.edu.
  5. If you hold a California credential based on an out of state program, these requirements may differ. Go to http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ or email the Credentials Office at credentials.office@sonoma.edu for information.