The MA in Education with a concentration of Educational Leadership program is housed under Education Leadership and Special Education (ELSE) Department. The objective of the M.A. degree program with concentration in Educational Leadership is to provide a strong academic foundation for competent administrative practice. The program is 30-36 semester units inclusive of course requirements for the Preliminary or Clear program. The M.A. degree with an emphasis in educational leadership is built upon the M.A. core curriculum of the School of Education.
The courses in the preliminary administrative services credential program may be applied to the educational leadership program area of concentration for the M.A. degree in education. This course of study is set up to be a strong learning community. Each student stays with his/her cohort for the entire program. EDEL 580A is the first class taken in august and EDEL 580b is the last class taken the following June. The professional administrative services program is for practicing administrators who have completed the preliminary administrative services program, and these units are not typically used in an MA. program as an area of concentration.
Educational Leadership Program (30- 36 units)
Educational Leadership Courses(24 units):
The following course must be completed for the Administrative Services Credential. There are no elective courses offered. A maximum of 18 of the following units may be applied to the Educational Leadership program area of concentration for the M.A. degree.
- EDEL 580A Educational Leadership and School Management (3 units)
- EDEL 580B Educational Leadership and School Management (3 units)
- EDEL 581 Management of Educational Personnel: Policies and Procedures (3 units)
- EDEL 582 Educational Policy and Politics (3 units)
- EDEL 583 School Law (3 units)
- EDEL 588 Educational Curriculum, Instruction, and Program Assessment (3 units)
- EDEL 589 Leadership with Diverse Populations (3 units)
- EDEL 587 Field Experiences in Administration (3 units per semester for two semesters [taken credit/ no credit and not usually applied to the M.A.])
MA Core Courses (6 units)
- EDUC 570: The Reflective Educator (3 units)
- EDUC 571: Research Paradigms in Education (3 units)
Pathway to Completion Courses (6-12 units)
Courses to be determined collaboratively with the student's Committee (see MA handbook)
The Educational Leadership faculty are the MA advisors for everyone in that cohort. They will be the candidate’s advisor until the chair of the candidate’s committee is selected.