If you have a valid single subject credential earned through a California based credential program and now want a multiple subject credential you must do the following:
- Meet subject matter competency by passing the CSET: Multiple Subject Exam (all three subtests).
- Take an elementary teaching methodology (that is not reading) course at a University with an approved Credential Program; contact the department chair at email@example.com to obtain permission to take the methods course and instruction on registration.
- Take an elementary teaching reading course and take and pass RICA; at Sonoma State you must contact the department chair at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain advising and permission to take the course and instructions on registration.
- Once you have these requirement met, you can apply directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for your second credential; visit http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ for more information OR contact the Credential Analyst if you wish for SSU to recommend you or if you need additional information, at email@example.com. Please note that a processing fee is required if you wish for SSU to submit the request to CTC. For more information please email the Credentials Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you hold a California credential based on an out of state program, these requirements may differ. Go to http://www.ctc.ca.gov/ or email the Credentials Office at email@example.com for information.