Professor, Chair and Faculty Associate Dean
Dr. Bacigalupa has been a professor of Early Childhood Studies at Sonoma State University since 2007. Between 1987 and 1996, she worked with children from birth to age eight in a variety of early care and education settings in California and Minnesota, and in 1995 she began teaching in higher education. She currently serves as the Chair of the SSU Early Childhood Studies department and as Faculty Associate Dean of the School of Education. When not engaging in academic pursuits, Dr. Bacigalupa enjoys traveling, reading, photography, quilting, and gardening.
- Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction with emphasis in Early Childhood Education, University of Minnesota
- M.A. Educational Psychology with emphasis in Early Childhood Education, California State University Northridge
- B.A. Philosophy, University of California Santa Cruz
- The Use of Digital Technology by Children and Adolescents
- Children’s Storytelling
- Moral Development
- Early Care and Education Policy
- Development of Critical Thinking Skills
- Child Development
- Digital Technology in Childhood
- Social Justice in Adolescence and Childhood
- Critical Thinking and Oral Communication
- 2019-present Faculty Associate Dean, School of Education, SSU
- 2012-present Department Chair, Early Childhood Studies, SSU
- 2007-present Professor, Early Childhood Studies, SSU
Bacigalupa, C. (2016). Partnering with families through photo collages. Early Childhood Education Journal, 44(4), 317-323. DOI: 10.1007/s10643-015-0724-3
Lensmire, T., Snaza, N., Nathan, R., Brooks, S., & Bacigalupa, C. (2016). Dangerous play: Race and Bakhtin in a graduate classroom. In F. Condon & V. Young (Eds.), Performing anti-racist pedagogy in rhetoric, writing, and communication. WAC Clearinghouse (e-version) and Parlor Press (print).
Bacigalupa, C. & Wright, C. (2009). “And then a huge, huge giant grabbed me!” Aggression in children’s stories. Early Childhood Research and Practice 11(2), n.p.
Ceglowski, D. & Bacigalupa, C. (2007). “I Play a Lot”: Children’s Perceptions of Child Care. Journal of Research in Child Education 22(2), 173-188.
Bacigalupa, C. (2005). The use of video games by kindergartners in a family child care setting. Early Childhood Education Journal, 33(1), 25-30.
Bacigalupa, C. (2008). Using stories to teach complex moral concepts to young children. In T.A. Lucey & K.S. Cooter, (Eds.), Financial literacy for children and youth. Second edition published 2018.