Child Development Permit

Two Toddlers looking into hanging tires

Information packet and application forms(PDF)

CD Permit and Multiple Subject Teaching Credential Relationship(PDF)

The California Child Development Permit is issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The permit is organized into different levels, each authorizing the holder to perform different levels of service in child development programs. Some information about the permit can be found on the Child Development Permit Matrix, and additional information is available from CCTC.

Applications for a Child Development Permit should be sent directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  Visit the website at CCTC Child Development Permits for an application and instructions.

Most permit levels require the holder to earn course units in three core areas: Child/Human Growth and Development; Child, Family, and Community; and Programs/Curriculum. Additional units in child development/early childhood education, as well as experience working in an early childhood program, may also be required.

The following courses satisfy CCTC requirement for coursework in each category. Please keep in mind that courses are not offered every year; careful planning is needed to complete coursework in an efficient and timely manner.

For more information contact the Early Childhood Studies Advisor.

Course Work

Child Growth and Development

  • EDEC 220 Observing Child Development in the First Eight Years (4 units)
  • *EDEC 420  Child Development in the Family, School, and Community (3 units)
  • PSY 302  Development of the Person (3 units)
  • PSY 410  Child Development (4 units)
  • *EDEC 538  The Development of Language and Thinking, Infancy through Middle Childhood (3 units)
  • **EDEC 532  Social-Moral Development in Childhood (3 units)

Child, Family, and Community

  • *EDEC 270  Children and Families in a Diverse Society (4 units)
  • *EDEC 420  Child Development in the Family, School, and Community (3 units)
  • PSY 418  Psychology of the Family (3-4 units)
  • SOC 345  Sociology of Families (4 units)
  • AMCS 405  Ethnic Families in America (3-4 units)

Early Childhood Programs/Curriculum

  • *EDEC 237  Creating Environments for Young Children (4 units)
  • *EDEC 437  Integrated Curriculum in Early Childhood Classrooms (4 units)
  • **EDEC 537Authentic Assessment in Preschool and Primary Programs (3 units)

General Early Childhood Development

  • EDEC 201 Foundations of Early Care and Education (4 units)
  • EDEC 331 Studying Children in Context (4 units)
  • EDEC 435 Leadership and Advocacy on Behalf of Children and Families (4 units)
  • EDSP 432 Young Children with Special Needs (4 units)
  • LING 430  Language Acquisition and Communicative Development (3 units)
  • PSY 411  Seminar: Behavioral and Emotional Problems of Children (3-4 units)
  • PSY 448  Cognitive Development (4 units)
  • AMCS 460  Multiethnic Children’s Literature (3 units)
  • **EDEC 531  Play and Its Role in Development and Learning (3 units)
  • **EDEC 535  Advocacy and Leadership on Behalf of Families and Children (3 units)

Supervised Field Experience

  • EDEC 220 Observing Child Development in the First Eight Years (4 units)
  • EDEC 437 Integrated Curriculum in Early Childhood Classrooms (4 units)

*Some courses are listed in more than one category.  However, a course that has been used to meet the requirement in one category cannot double-count towards another category.  You must take one course in each of the categories specified on the permit matrix.

**Courses at the 500 level are graduate courses and can only be taken by students with senior or graduate status and consent of the instructor.